The Pearl Initiative (PI) is looking for a dynamic Programme Manager (Governance in Family Firms & Tech) to join its growing team in a fast-paced environment. As part of the Governance in Family Firms & Tech programmes, the Programme Manager will lead the design and delivery of this corporate governance programme within the business ecosystem across the Gulf region.
As per PI’s Vision 2025, the Governance in Family Firms programme aims to provide the next-generation the family members with the resources and tools and equip family businesses with the understanding of why effective and timely succession planning is imperative for business growth and continuity.
The Governance in Tech Programme will aim to work with tech startups and tech companies to build the governance and sustainability of tech-based organisations in the Gulf Region.
About Governance in Family Firms & Governance in Tech programme
The Governance in Family Firms programme aims to strengthen the overall ecosystem in which regional family businesses operate by providing opportunities through Applied Research, Convenings, Training and Capacity-building, and Student Engagement.
Over the course of the programme, PI has been working with family business members and their advisors to promote family business growth and sustainability. PI has engaged over 300 professionals in 15 roundtables, workshops and executive education courses and provided them with training and practical tools to improve family business governance.
The Governance in Tech programme plans to address both, corporate governance within tech companies, as well as general governance on the use of technology across all companies. PI will engage with potential funders to align with the vision when making the business case for better governance in tech companies.
Following the launch of the programme, a steady stream of resources, and webinars will be developed to enhance the knowledge of corporate governance in tech firms.
Who PI is looking for
The ideal candidate should have a strong interest in family governance, next-generation, leadership development and succession planning.. The candidate should also have a sense of strategic planning for the family business ecosystem. The ideal candidate should have a strong interest in topics around technology and innovation with a particular focus on tech governance. The candidate should have an understanding of governance policies and best practice tools to help promote greater accountability and transparency of tech firms/tech startups in the Gulf Region.
The Programme Manager will be responsible for taking the strategy and key objectives of the Family Firms Programme and implementing them across PI’s 4 key activity pillars: Applied Research, Convenings, Training and Capacity-building, and Student Engagement. The Programme Manager will support and educate actors within the business ecosystem on the value of implementing good governance practices. This includes developing and executing regular trainings and workshops for senior managers and advisors working with family and tech businesses across the Gulf Region.
The Programme Manager should have the ability to professionally engage and work with key PI stakeholders in various settings, including corporate business leaders, peer organisations, and other stakeholders across the Gulf Region (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, Bahrain, UAE).
As a member of the programmes’ team, the Programme Manager will report to the Head of Programmes and is also expected to contribute to PI’s overall programme development and contribute to and manage special projects outside the programme-specific scope of their responsibilities as needed. The Programmes Manager will also supervise a Programmes Associate and, together, work as a team to ensure the achievement of programmes objectives.
By joining PI at this stage, the Programme Manager will have a unique opportunity to make a real difference and take part in a game changing private sector led effort with a mission to advance corporate governance in the Gulf Region.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Programme Development & Application of Technical Knowledge in Family Firms & Tech Governance
- Proactively engage in technical practice and subject matter expertise on the specific topics and areas of focus such as establishing a family office, effective succession planning and increased understanding of the “next-generation” role in family governance to ensure the sustainability of the businesses, sharing information and best practices learned as part of PI’s impact reporting;
- Build subject matter expertise and contribute to business development, technical practice, and organisational priorities;
- Build on the programme’s legacy work and inform the family firms community on the significance of embedding corporate governance frameworks for successful business growth and long-term resiliency.
- Lead the day-to-day development and delivery of programme plans for the Governance in Family Firms & Tech programmes, in collaboration with the Head of Programmes and with the support of the Programme Associate(s). This includes everything from the design stage all the way through to the execution of an intervention programme;
- Proactively identify issues or potential risks, including project performance, financial, legal, and other core business areas. Develop strategies and solutions to address those risks, communicating, when appropriate, with the Head of Programmes and the Head of Business Services; strategically assess and consult with colleagues to help make informed decisions;
- Manage relationships with leaders in family firms and tech companies to understand current trends, opportunities and challenges. Engage with the leaders to help strengthen the long-term success and sustainability of regional family businesses;
- Build networks of participants from the private sector, civil society, academia, international institutions and semi-government bodies to take the lead on the conversation around family firms & tech governance;
- Oversee the programme contract and budgets for the Governance in Family Firms & Tech programmes, in collaboration with the Head of Programmes and Head of Business Services;
- May be required to contribute time to other workstreams and functions to achieve organisational goals, including new business, operations, and technical practice contributions and impact measurement.
New Business Development
- Promote PI’s programmes by identifying opportunities for and attending external events, networking with clients and counterparts, articulating a solid understanding of PI’s past and present portfolio; effectively represent the organisation’s history, values, and standards; and identify and develop new business leads;
- Take initiative to support new business including growing PI’s network of industry contacts and leading on proposal and concept note development;
- Responsible for developing proposals, concept notes, and communication materials on the impact of the Governance in Family Firms &Tech programmes.
- Write articles, thought leadership pieces and progress summaries for PI publications and other
- external resources where applicable, in partnership with the Communications Manager;
- Summarise and disseminate the latest thinking and analysis from around the Gulf Region in the areas of transparency, accountability and business practices;
- Generate a wide variety of new online and offline content related to programme topic areas.
Management and Leadership
- Supervise, mentor, train, develop, and evaluate assigned staff; provide regular performance feedback to supervisees and the time and opportunity to grow professionally;
- Mentor and advise staff across the organisation (e.g. associates, programme managers, and others) as appropriate on a range of topics, including business development, technical work, and project management;
- Demonstrate inclusive behaviors and leadership consistent with PI’s values and leadership competencies.
Essential Professional Experience/Skills & Qualifications
- A University degree / Master’s degree preferred;
- Five or more years experience in corporate governance programmes in the private sector, small businesses and entrepreneurial environments within the Gulf region. Experience working with family firms and Tech companies is highly desired;
- Excellent writing skills and a proven ability to draft proposals, reports, research results or other organisational documents with minimal supervision;
- Fluent in English, including perfect ability to write content in clear, structured and compelling manner;
- Fluent in written and spoken Arabic and preferred experience in managing training programmes in Arabic;
- Outstanding project management skills;
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
- High energy individual who demonstrates flexibility in work priorities, capable of multi-tasking and operating efficiently and effectively across multiple areas of responsibility;
- Proven ability to set priorities, work independently, be proactive, manage multiple projects and meet deadlines;
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and has a do what it takes mentality in order to achieve the PI’s objectives;
- Demonstrated capacity to exercise independent judgment and sound decision-making in the midst of diverse and complex organisational environments;
- Strong team orientation, relationship-building and negotiation skills, and ability to collaborate with diverse groups of people;
- Highly organised, able to work independently, and thrives under the pressure of deadlines.
- Excellent networking, communications, presentation, persuading and community building skills;
- Business-focused research, data collection and analytical skills.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Programme Manager (Governance in Family Firms & Tech)” in the subject line.